The last "Honest Originalist" - Anthony Scalia (in "The Devil")
Hoisted from an interview in New York magazine (emphasis mine)
Anthony Scalia: You’re looking at me as though I’m weird. My God! Are you so out of touch with most of America, most of which believes in the Devil? I mean, Jesus Christ believed in the Devil! It’s in the Gospels! You travel in circles that are so, so removed from mainstream America that you are appalled that anybody would believe in the Devil! Most of mankind has believed in the Devil, for all of history.
So, lets take a look at this
- Hindus? Nah, no such person/thing. If you really want to get down to it, there is no "Good" or "Evil", but just different levels of realization/consciousness/being
- Buddhists? Eh, kinda, sorta, not really. There is "Mara" (the dude who tempted Buddha), but its actually more like the embodiment of selfishness/desire in Man/Mankind.
- Judaism? Nah, the closest would be yetzer hara, which is more about evil tendencies/inclinations - its kinda like Buddhism in that way. (And yeah, Satan does show up in the Book of Job. But not really as the "Devil")
- Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheists? Well, d-uh
And I'll stop at that, mainly 'cos between that we're at ~38% of the world's population. Today.
Considering that only about 6.5% of people that have ever lived are alive today, and considering that the Indian population has always been quite high, I think we can fairly say that even today most of mankind doesn't believe in the devil, let alone through all of history.
Then again, this is the same chump honest originalist who believes that the cross honors all war dead, not just christians (yup. seriously. what a doof.)
Note: I'm fairly certain he wasn't talking about FreeBSD. And even then...


Comments