Childhood memories - by way of fruit

When I was a kid, growing up in IIT-Kanpur, there were these fruits that we got locally.  We called them Ras Bhari, and they showed up with a little papery leaf 'wrapper' - kind of like a tomatillo.
They were sweet, with just a hint of tartness, and were such a ubiquitous, yet seasonal, part of my childhood that I never even noticed missing them when I moved to the US.

Nearly 30 years later, I'm wandering through a grocery store in Curacao, and spot a little container of what looks like either large orange berries, or small orange cherries.
One "what the heck" later, its in the shopping cart, and eventually back at the hotel room, washed, and sampled.

This may not have been a madeleine, but boy, was it ever a Proustian moment!

My childhood came rushing back, and I just sat there in silent bliss for the next few minutes, simultaneously remembering those carefree days, as well as wondering how on earth I could have forgotten these.

Taste and smell - the closest we have to time-travel...

Note: These are also called Cape Gooseberries, or Physalis, and apparently originated in Peru. Go figure...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Erlang, Binaries, and Garbage Collection (Sigh)

Cannonball Tree!

Visualizing Prime Numbers