Do you trust Apple?

Dan Wineman of Venomous Porridge has an analysis of iBooks Author up, and its a doozy.
Take it away Dan
In other words: Apple is trying to establish a rule that whatever I create with this application, if I sell it, I have to give them a cut. And iBooks Author is free, so this arrangement sounds pretty reasonable.
Here’s the problem: I didn’t agree to it. Apple wants me to believe I did, of course, just by using the software:
PLEASE READ THIS SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT (“LICENSE”) CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THE APPLE SOFTWARE. BY USING THE APPLE SOFTWARE, YOU ARE AGREEING TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE, DO NOT INSTALL AND/OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
But that language is in the EULA itself, a contract of adhesion which I was not required to sign (or even indicate my agreement to by clicking) before installing the software. So, to paraphrase: By using this software, you agree that anything you make with it is in part ours. But if it can say that and have legal force, can’t it say anything? Isn’t this the equivalent of a car dealer trying to bind you to additional terms by sticking a contract in the glove compartment? By driving this car, you agree to get all your oil changes from Honda of Cupertino?

To repeat this, if you use iBooks Author to create an e-book, you can only sell the book on the iBookstore.  This may not seem like such a big deal to you, after all, its only fair, right?  I mean, they're giving this stuff away, right? 
Aha, (as Dan points out) what if you make a .pdf, and give it to someone else (nothing preventing that), and they sell it?  Who is liable?  What happens now?


I know, "We can trust Apple", "They are a Good company", etc. etc.
Me, I do have a problem with this.  To misquote Terry Pratchett, Its all well to have a Good and Wise King, but you better hope that his children are Good and Wise too, because someday they will take over.  And what about his Wazir?  And the henchmen? Do you trust them too?  And the neighboring kingdoms?  What about them?

Sooo, Do You Trust Apple? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Erlang, Binaries, and Garbage Collection (Sigh)

Spot The Difference — Deep Learning Edition